Sunday, May 3, 2015

The fight
                SO I watch “The Fight of the Century” last night. I now see why no one likes boxing anymore. This isnt really much of news/current events or related to any of my past posts but I had a personal experience with this that I have to share.
                Watching old videos of Mike Tyson, Ali, and many others that were worth watching, I noticed how much better and different boxing was back then. Usually when someone says “Oh, It used to be cool but now its not as awesome” I ignore it, I hear it all the time. This is the case though for boxing. Before you had monsters of men going at each other, almost killing each other before the first round is over. Now you have two tiny men trying not to get hit.
                The part that made it so unenjoyable for me was of course the hype. You have a the two men that have been anticipated to fight for the last 5 years, it’s probably the only public fight anyone has actually cared about in the last 10 years.  After years of negotiations and talks of it never happening, it finally did and everyone was so ready for it, but then the fight started.
                Before the fight even started I hated it. All the commentators or anyone could talk about was the money. I mean, although they made 128,000 dollars a second, which is mind-blowing, I don’t need to hear it every ten seconds. I don’t need to hear how much the seats cost or which celebrities attended. I just became annoying, the fight was more about the money than they actually match and it shows in the fight as well. It was so ridiculous, Burger King and Justin Bieber followed Mayweather onto the ring, Jimmy Kimmel took a selfie with Pacquiao walking out, and it was a total circus, not a boxing match.
                The match was even worse. At first you think that these boxing matches are action packed and full of violence like you want, but this is not the case with Floyd Mayweather. Now I could bash Mayweather for hours (illiterate, worst human being on earth, thinks he’s the best, blah blah) but ill sapre all that and just say he fights like a scared cat, he wins but he fights so defensively. IT makes it so boring were one guy is just hugging and avoiding contact the whole match. Everyone feels the same way and it just killed the sport even more. IT was already dying but this was the finishing blow. The one fight that has been anticipated for 5 years and had hundreds of millions at stake just had to be absolutely awful.  The millions of people that tuned in could have brought a new spark to boxing, instead it got a KO.


                 

No comments:

Post a Comment